3 Hill StreetRedcarNorth YorkshireTS10 1BU

Accountancy Services in Redcar

Phone Number: 07855 326 609

Self Assessment Tax Return

  • Posted by:
  • Admin
  • Tags:
  • Tax Return
  • Posted date:
  • 21-11-2018

Self Assessment Tax Return

In the UK, the majority of taxpayers are usually taxed at the source. They, therefore, do not require completion of Self-Assessment Tax Return. Taxation at source means that you receive money after tax has been deducted. It is the same as UK bank interest or Pay As You Earn system where taxpayers receive net income after taxation.

Those who receive income that is not taxed at source or taxation is incorrect, and their tax is due, should inform HM Revenue & Customs (HRMC). This should be done within  6 months after the end of taxation year when income was received (5th of October after the end of taxation year). You then receive a notice from HRMC for filing a tax return by post or electronically. These incomes include self-employed income, rental income, savings income, and freelance earnings or eBay sales that are occasionally not taxed.

calculating taxable income

You are required to send a tax return, if during the last tax period:

  • You received over £2,500 rental income – if you received £1.000 - £2,500, contact the helpline
  • You received over £2,500 from untaxed income such as commission or tips
  • You, or your partner, received over £50,000 and either of you received child Benefit
  • You received over £1,000 self-employment income – it is called your ‘trading allowance’
  • You had taxable income of more than £100,000
  • You did not pay tax on income received from abroad
  • You were a registered pension scheme’s or any trust’s trustee
  • If HRMC sent to you P800 indicating that you never paid the correct tax last year
  • you never paid tax you owe via your tax code or voluntary payment
  • You were living abroad and received income from the UK
  • You received over £10,000 before tax from investments or savings, including cash from interests in possession or bare trusts
  • You received dividends of over £10,000 before tax
  • Inform HRMC if the amount was more than your dividends allowance
  • You should pay tax gains on profit gained from selling shares, chargeable assets or a second home, among others
  • You never got any benefits or pay, having been a company director. It does not apply where it was a non-profit organisation
  • You received State Pension as the only income, and it surpassed your personal allowance. It does not apply if you started receiving the pension after or on 6 April 2016.

You are also required to submit a tax return if:

  • You wish to claim maternity allowance or Tax-Free Childcare by proving you are self-employed.
  • You wish to make payments for Voluntary Class 2 National Insurance. It helps qualify you for the benefits.
  • You are Lloyd’s underwriter or a religious minister. However, if your only source of income is pension or wages, you may not need to send a tax return.

You are legally required to submit Self-Assessment tax return after its completion once HRMC sends it to you. Do this through post or via online tax return filing.

Late submission or missing the deadline of the tax return will attract a penalty. You will be required to pay surcharges or interest on any tax owed. 31st October is the paper tax returns deadline, and 31st January is the online tax return deadline.

You may have had a change in circumstances where you have started receiving new income within the tax year. For instance, when you sell many shares, or you get a new property to let. Inform your tax Office by 5th October after the end of the taxation year. Your Office will advise whether you are required to file a tax return.

You can contact HRMC to help you close your account for self-assessment if you were sending tax return but do not need to do it anymore. For example, if you stopped being self-employed.

Are you looking for small business accountants in Middlesbrough And North Yorkshire? Contact our team for help and advice with accounting and finance.